Contacts Sidebar displays all available address books in a sidebar in the 3-pane-window of Thunderbird. It makes all your contacts easy accessible from the main window to quickly write messages, or to edit the properties of a contact card.
As of version 0.6, the Contacts Sidebar also replaces the sidebar in the compose window. The sidebar in Thunderbirds main window and the sidebar in the compose window have the same context menu and share the same features.
There a quite some features in the Contacts Sidebar that you can change to match personal preference. As for all extension, the Contacts Sidebar options can be found in the "Tools | Add-ons" list. In this list either double click on the Contacts Sidebar entry, or select the sidebar entry and choose "Options" in the context menu.
Latest stable release - September 16, 2007
The latest stable release of Contacts Sidebar is version 0.7.1. You can download this release from the downloads section.
See the Changelog for a complete list of changes.
- Collapsable address book selection and search field to save space for contacts and accounts.
- Quick search contacts. Search your contacts with different search criteria modes and multiple search terms
- Write message to selected contacts. Add the recipients to the To, Cc or Bcc field of the new message.
- Forward Contact, to send contact info as a vCard attachment.
- Drag & Drop files and messages to a contact to easily add attachments to a new message to this contact.
- Automatically populate LDAP address books with a user-defined search query (see Contacts Sidebar Options).
- Toolbar button, F4 key and a menu item "View | Layout | Contacts Sidebar" to toggle the display of Contacts Sidebar.
Keyboard & Mouse Shortcuts
|Command||Keyboard Shortcut||Mouse Shortcut|
|Write message to primary email address||Enter||
left double click
|Write message to additional email address||Ctrl+Enter||
Ctrl+double left click
|Write message in inverted HTML/Plain Text format to primary email address||Shift+Enter||
Shift+left double click
|Write message in inverted HTML/Plain Text format to additional email address||Shift+Ctrl+Enter||
Shift+Ctrl+double left click
|View properties contacts card||Alt+Enter||
Alt+double left click
|Delete selected contacts||Delete|
|Add new card to address book||Insert|